Monday, September 1, 2014

How To Get Stuff For Free: Scanning Code of Practice & Shoppers Coupons

Over the past few weeks I've been shopping more than usual -- mostly for the basics to set up my apartment. During these shopping trips I've often ended up getting an item for free. Here are the two ways that this has happened:









1) Scanning Code of Practice

This code, implemented by the Competition Bureau of Canada, states that if an item scans in at a price higher than the shelf price, the customer receives it for free (up to a $10 maximum). If a store supports this policy, they usually display a sign at the till.
I always check my receipt and if an item is priced incorrectly I make sure to bring it up. I only ask for the "Scanning Code of Practice" in big chain stores, as I feel bad when smaller businesses take a hit. I've gotten items for free at Superstore and Walmart (and even though Walmart displayed the policy they didn't automatically honour it because I "didn't ask" -- so do ask!).
stuff I've gotten for free from the Scanning Code of Practice


2) Shoppers Drug Mart Personalized Coupons

I've had a free Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum card for years, but only recently did I bother going onto their website and registering my card to receive email offers. I'm sure glad I did. Every Friday I receive an email containing seven "personalized" coupons (i.e. different customers receive different coupons).
Friday coupon email
Especially when used on items that are already on sale in the weekly flyer, these coupons can be very worthwhile to print out and bring into the store. For example, I got a toothbrush for free since it was already on sale for $2.49 and I had a "$3 off" coupon. Shoppers tends to repeat its sales and coupons, so I often benefit from the $3.99 for 4 L of milk or $1.99 for a dozen eggs coupons.
$0.00 toothbrush & saving more than double what I spent
stuff I've gotten for free with Shoppers coupons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...