Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Recipe: Pumpkin Cake

Life has been busy this month; besides the usual stuff there have been so many oral exams (my least favourite things ever), meaning lots of coffee and studying. This time next week I'll be in London (Ontario) for "bootcamp" which is really not bootcamp in the spandex sense at all, but a cram course in anatomy, radiology, and contouring, mislabeled so as to make us nerds feel cool. And somehow between now and flying out I have two more oral exams and three more call shifts. But such is life; one day at a time.

Because October has all but disappeared on me, I want to make sure I share this pumpkin cake recipe (adapted from AllRecipes.com). It's so dense and moist; just the perfect cake. It freezes well too -- I've individually frozen pieces to bring along on call shifts.
Here's the somewhat healthified recipe:
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 28 oz pureed pumpkin (one big tin)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp each of cloves, ginger powder, nutmeg, & all spice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Mix the wet ingredients together. Mix the dry ingredients separately, then stir into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into a greased 8''x13'' pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 min.

The original recipe suggests a cream cheese icing. I made more of a glaze by melting together
  • 4.5 oz cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
in a small pot over low heat, then spreading it over the cooled cake.

I hope you enjoy this or whatever other fall baking you're up to!

2 comments:

  1. Cool recipe!!! I will definitely have to try it as I have never tried smth like that!
    Do you think melted choco instead of icing would be a good idea?
    Good luck in your oral exams! You will do great! :)
    Have fun in "bootcamp"!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Evi! I'm a sucker for anything cream cheese, but I'm sure melted chocolate would be delicious too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...