Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Saving Money Around the House: Reducing Personal Spending

I spent some time over the winter holidays doing a big clean up, packing up all kinds of stuff from years gone by to take down to the thrift store, recycling depot, or dumpster (in that order, so that items not accepted by one site could be deposited at the next). Somewhere between sorting through bear- and turkey-shaped candles and washing up a dusty Brita water dispenser, I began to see the allure of minimalism. Imagine how satisfying and invigorating it feels to have freshly decluttered and tidied your house. Now imagine feeling that perpetually. That's what I (perhaps naively, as only an aspiring minimalist) see as the main benefit of minimalism.

Another minimalism benefit is, of course, saving money. Fortunately, when it comes to day-to-day personal spending, I've always lived pretty simply and have never really felt the need to spend much money on things for myself. I've written previously about some easy (and maybe too obvious) ways to save money around the house; here I'll add a few ways that I reduce my personal spending:

  1. 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner -- Not only does it save time in the morning, it also saves water by cutting down time spent in the shower.
  2. haircuts -- Cutting my own hair is convenient and means I can get haircuts as often as I'd like without worrying about the cost. All you need is a mirror and a pair of scissors. There are tons of helpful videos on YouTube; it's kind of fun! And if things don't go the way you'd planned, it's only hair :) You can also make yourself useful to other (trusting) people!
  3. makeup -- Thankfully I don't like wearing makeup, so don't feel the need to buy anything other than cover-up.
  4. large bottles -- I only buy lotion and shampoo in large bottles when they are on sale.
  5. toothbrushes & razor blades -- I use them for way longer than the manufacturers recommend, only changing them when I think their function is compromised.
  6. old clothes -- I sport the hobo look at home, getting maximum wear out of old clothes (they're most comfortable, anyways!). I keep a sewing kit on hand and sometimes rejuvenate old clothes (like cutting off the torn bottom of capris to turn them into shorts).
  7. standard colours -- Until I have more money, my jackets, shoes, and bags will remain a practical palette of blacks and greys.

What are ways that you reduce personal spending?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...