Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Saving Money Around the House

Here are some little things that I do to save money around my house. As I'm not very creative, they're all pretty basic things that I'm sure many people also do!
  1. laundry -- I do laundry just once a week to save water (not just because I'm lazy!). Selecting the minimum required water level and avoiding the "hot" water setting help me to save water and electricity. I use less than the recommended amount of laundry detergent (which also spares me from impersonating an "ocean breeze" for the next few days).
  2. spot heating -- Rather than turn up the thermostat, I'm all for cosy socks, sweaters, and blankets. A parabolic heater or electric blanket are good ways to spot heat.
  3. blinds -- In the winter I keep my blinds open during the day to benefit from the sun's heat; at night, I close them to reduce heat loss.
  4. reusable shopping bags -- They're great for shopping, travelling, and packing, and cost as little as $0.25. An easy way to be environmentally conscious while saving $0.05 per bag at the grocery store!
  5. reusing plastic shopping bags -- Some stores (e.g. Walmart, Safeway, Save On) still offer free plastic shopping bags and I usually accept them when I'm running short at home. I reuse them as garbage bags and to carry my lunch.
  6. Comet -- I bypass all the fancy cleaning products and skip to Comet or Ajax, the familiar brands of my childhood. On sale it's only $0.70 a can, goes a long way, and works well for cleaning the kitchen sink and bathroom.
  7. hot water tank -- I turned the temperature on my hot water tank to the lowest setting and guess what -- it's still warmer than I'd ever need.
  8. water -- I save water by doing dishes by hand, keeping the tap on cold and the flow low, and taking showers instead of baths. When I want to wash out my water bottle, I use the remaining water to water potted plants. When boiling water, I only boil the amount that I need; if I do boil extra, I store it in an insulated flask to use later.
  9. oven -- To save electricity, I rarely use my oven; if possible I use a toaster oven instead.
  10. rags -- I save old socks and clothing to use as rags, for cleaning the house and washing the car. I fold up old towels to use as bath mats.
  11. tupperwares -- I keep a few washed yogurt and cottage cheese containers on hand for storing food. They come in handy for packing lunches, as their seals never leak.


Do you do any of these things? How do you save money around your house?

2 comments:

  1. I actually do all of these! My mom is always finding new and handy ways to reuse everything, so I grew up with these things. When I move out I'll probably keep doing this :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome :) They're just little sensible things...but it adds up!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...