Monday, August 3, 2015

Weekend Review: Menchie's, Spinach Brownies, and Flowers

med school blog
Happy Heritage Day (or BC Day or Terry Fox Day...or whatever your province calls it)! For most Canadians it's a long weekend, though there doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus as to why (and does it really matter?). Here in Alberta today's purpose (as per Wikipedia) is "to recognize and celebrate the varied cultural heritage of Albertans", which I think is pretty great. Anyhow, it's nice to have today off after a busy week, even if all I've used the day for so far has been much overdue cleaning and laundry. I'm trying to get organized before starting a new rotation tomorrow (it's the old Q4weekly switch up) and I'm still on home call for my previous rotation so probably should get things done while my pager's quiet. Overall I've had a great week -- here are some good things:

  1. Menchie's -- Impromptu froyo trips are the best.
    menchies peanut butter
    chocolate & peanut butter, with Skor, cookie dough, & cheesecake toppings
  2. 5-photo frames -- So after going to what felt like every store in the city in search of 5-photo horizontal collage frames (to try to make one of these), I was so happy to finally find them at Army & Navy. I can't believe that's the only place that sells them (for future reference, the list of places that don't includes: Michaels, Jysk, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ikea, Winners, Walmart, Superstore, London Drugs, Staples, and dollar stores).
    army & navy 5 photo frame
  3. spinach brownies -- This week I bought a big bag of spinach that seemed to stay the same size no matter how many handfuls I blended into smoothies, mixed into omelettes, or made into salads. Looking to put a bigger dent in the bag, I mixed up a batch of spinach brownies, which I'll say turned out pretty well (despite being more quiche-like than brownie-like).
    spinach brownies
  4. BBQ -- On Friday my workplace had its annual staff appreciation BBQ, with the Pig Out food truck (and its pig-shaped BBQ) serving up burgers and baked beans. It was the perfect day for a BBQ...but of course we ended up eating in front of our computers, as per usual. #multitasking
    pig bbq edmonton
    and a banana popsicle...which didn't make it into the photo
  5. flowers -- Gosh having flowers in my house makes me so happy! These are from a friend's bridal shower, which was very sweet with some wonderful traditions.
    birdal shower gerbana
  6. Heritage Festival -- I had a really great time at Edmonton's Heritage Festival this weekend, checking out the cultural pavilions and trying all kinds of yummy traditional foods. Since I actually managed to remember to stop and photograph just about everything before eating it, I'll write a Heritage Festival post tonight :)
    edmonton heritage festival

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...