Sunday, July 19, 2015

Weekend Review: Sugar Bowl, Downtown Farmers' Market, & MEC Bag

med school blog
This week sure went by quickly! We've had beautiful 25-degree days, apart from one unusually drizzly one that had me getting out my proper raincoat for what I think must have been the second time all year. For the most part I've been in the basement at work and haven't seen much of the nice weather, but I've made up for it this weekend. Here are some things that I've appreciated in the past seven days:





  1. urban gardening -- I've been monitoring the progress of this little back lane garden on my walks to work. I'm always impressed when people squeeze gardens into unexpected places -- and this one is doing particularly well.
    edmonton garden
    I mean, look at that rhubarb!
  2. West Edmonton Mall -- I made a Monday evening trip to the mall, which turned out to be the perfect time to avoid crowds and pick up the couple things I'd been looking for.
    west edmonton mall ice palace
    And good exercise because the mall is huge, thanks to things like this in the middle of it. Oh Canada.
  3. The Sugar Bowl -- I had a really great lunch of bison chili and cornbread on Friday at the Sugar Bowl, the cutest little hipster cafe!
    sugar bowl edmonton
    See how cute! It was raining so we didn't sit out on the patio...next time :) (thesugarbowl.org)
    sugar bowl chili
  4. City Market Downtown -- I spent yesterday morning at the downtown farmers' market with a couple of friends. I hadn't been to this market before and think that it may be my new favourite. Along with local produce and BC fruit stands, there are baking, artwork, jewellery, and food trucks, all outdoors along 104 Street. It was nice to take in the summer market ambiance over coffee on The Cavern's sidewalk patio, in the midst of the market-goers and buskers' folk music.
    market mini donuts
    And there was a mini doughnut truck!
    alberta legislature fountain
    A nice day to walk back through the Legislature grounds
  5. cupcake -- Another resident gave me a cupcake with the best chocolate icing ever!
    chocolate cupcake
  6. bag -- Yesterday I stopped by MEC and fell in love with one of their courier bags (amongst other wonderful things) but convinced myself that I didn't need it. And then I got home, caved, and bought it online. Yes, it's technically a men's bag...but I think I'm through with women's bags that are essentially purses with narrow cross-body straps (if they even have them) that dig into my shoulder on the walk to work. First-world problems, I know.
    mec courier cascade bag
    I can't wait for it to arrive (and secretly also want the matching tote and weekender bag)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...