Monday, December 15, 2014

Recipe: Chocolate Cake Mix Candy Cane Cookies

Curled up on the couch under the glow of my living room Christmas lights, an episode of Downton Abbey starting, and a big mug of sugar plum spice Christmas tea in my hand, there was only one thing that could improve this cosy winter evening: cookies! Specifically, Christmas ones, and ideally, nothing that would separate me from the couch for very long. I decided cake mix cookies fit the bill. Not only was this recipe super easy and quick (I think this is the first time I've actually had the raw cookies prepared before the oven pre-heating timer beeped), the cookies turned out far more delicious than I'd expected.
chocolate candy cane cake mix cookies recipe
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
  • two eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 candy cane (crushed)
duncan hines cake mix cookies
I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, I mixed the cake mix, eggs, and olive oil. I rolled the dough into around thirty little balls and placed them on two ungreased cookie sheets.
duncan hines cookies
chocolate cake mix cookies recipe
To Christmas-fy the cookies I crushed a candy cane (by placing it, unwrapped, in a plastic bag and pounding it with a knife handle) then dipped each dough ball in it so that a bit of candy cane adhered to the top.
christmas cake mix cookies
I baked the cookies for 8 minutes. They'll seem undone when you take them out, but don't worry, they'll harden up a little as they cool. It's important not to overbake these guys -- if you want soft chewy cookies, 8 minutes is all it takes.
christmas cake mix cookies recipe
These cookies really surpassed my expectations. Their texture is a melt-in-your-mouth hybrid of brownie and chewy cookie, delicious either warm or cold. The crushed candy cane on top is both festive and adds a slight minty taste, which really complements the chocolate. And above all, they are so very easy to make! Now back to Downton Abbey...
candy cane cake mix cookies recipe
If you've made cake mix cookies before, I'd love to hear suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...