Saturday, November 1, 2014

Weekend Review: Snow, Halloween Costumes, and Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ale

The days are passing quickly, with early start times and early bedtimes. I've been walking to and from work in the dark or dusk, with the sun rising at 8:30 am and setting at 6 pm. I'm enjoying this rotation though -- I'm learning lots and feeling involved in patient care. Here are some other things I've liked in the past seven days:






  1. snow -- Earlier this week temperatures dipped below zero and brought some snow. Snow is still a bit of a novelty to me and I thought the huge falling flakes looked beautiful. Fortunately none of it stuck!
    snow edmonton winter university of alberta hospital
    a snowy walk to work
  2. hospital shortcuts -- The hospital where I work is laid out with elevators and stairs in a central hub and wards along the periphery, each connected to the centre by a bridge -- like spokes on a wheel. Whenever I wanted to go to the neighbouring ward I'd walk from the first ward across the bridge to the elevator hub and then out along the neighbouring bridge to the next ward. I've finally realized that the wards are connected along the periphery so there's no need to walk into the centre and back out again...let's just say I got some extra exercise :)
    university of alberta hospital stollery
    bridges, viewed from another bridge; elevators at left, wards at right
  3. gas prices -- I can't remember the last time I bought gas for less than $1/litre.
    gas price alberta edmonton
    only in Alberta
  4. The Sugar Bowl & Duke's Diner -- I had some nice meals at a couple neighbourhood restaurants this week. The Sugar Bowl is a cute little hipster cafe where I was excited to find the local Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ale. Duke's Diner is a retro checkered-floor university student hang out, where we managed to fit nine people into a red-vinyled corner booth for a lunch of donair.
    sugar bowl edmonton alley kat pumpkin pie spiced ale
    The Sugar Bowl -- Alley Kat Pumpkin Pie Spiced Ale & bread pudding
  5. Halloween treats -- From candy bowls on the hospital wards to a sugar-fueled academic half day, I've had my fair share of treats over the past week. Costumed volunteers even came in mid-way through Mandarin class this morning to hand out candy!
    halloween candy kitkat smarties
    classics
    halloween sugar cookie
    a festive cookie for lunch in the clinic
  6. Halloween costumes -- I ran across these cute baby/toddler costumes while looking for inspiration online:
    sushi baby halloween costume
    (http://pogogi.com/perfect-halloween-costume-sushi)
    lobster baby halloween costume
    (http://www.inquisitr.com/32340/lobster-baby-cutest-halloween-costume-evar/)
    old man baby halloween costume
    (http://www.costume-works.com/little_old_man.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...