Monday, October 6, 2014

"The Elvis": Peanut Butter & Banana United

Peanut butter. That creamy, sweet, and slightly salty deliciousness -- it's a food that I can't get enough of. In my opinion there is only one thing that can improve peanut butter: its union with banana.
Reportedly a favourite combination of Elvis Presley (with or without the addition of bacon), it's a simple matchup that shouldn't be underestimated. In fact, I rarely go a day without it.

Quick and easy, a sliced banana tossed in a bowl with a spoonful of peanut butter makes a great snack. I stir this combo into my oatmeal on a regular basis.

My favourite breakfast, lunch, or snack when I'm at home is peanut butter banana toast. I just barely toast the bread, so that it is lightly crispy on the outside but still soft on the inside. I rarely make it with untoasted bread, as I love when the peanut butter slightly melts into the bread. Topped with banana slices and occasionally sprinkled with cinnamon or chocolate, it's a comforting and filling treat.

Another way I love to combine peanut butter and banana is in milkshakes. Though I was initially hesitant to try this combination, worried that the taste of the peanut butter would be overwhelmed, it turns out that its flavour and creaminess very much enhance the drink...and I'd been missing out! Here's the recipe for my favourite milkshake.
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup milk
  • 0.5 cup chocolate swirl ice cream
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
Blend all four ingredients together and enjoy!

And one last tip for any PBB lovers who ever find themselves in Malaysia: hunt down an apam balik hawker cart to try some great peanut- and banana-filled pancakes!
Apam Balik by Yun Huang Yong (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goosmurf/8605506999/)
[CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)]

Do you like the combination of peanut butter and banana? What's your favourite way to eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...