Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Recipe: The Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
I know everyone has a "best ever" chocolate chip cookie recipe, but here's one that I honestly think makes the best cookies I have ever tried. It's very basic, yet produces the most satisfying cookies -- chewy but not overly buttery, thick and substantial, with a subtle oatmealy texture (not to mention the most delicious raw dough! ...a couple bites can't hurt, right?). It originally came to me on a hand-written recipe card from a high school friend's cabin kitchen. I've tweaked it over the years, reducing the butter and sugar to make for a healthier cookie. I've made dozens of batches of these and probably will for years to come.


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

  • 0.5 cup butter or margarine (softened by briefly microwaving)
  • 0.5 cup brown sugar
  • 0.75 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
In a large mixing bowl, beat the above ingredients together until they are light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix the following dry ingredients, then stir them into the wet ingredients:
  • 2.25 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 0.5 tsp salt
Finally, stir in:
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Drop (approximately 24-30 cookies) onto two ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Note: These cookies will be on the pale side when you take them out of the oven -- they should look almost undercooked, as they will harden further as they cool. Don't bake them for longer than 10-12 min or you'll have hard cookies rather than chewy ones!
Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe

Hope you like these cookies as much as I do. For chewier cookies try increasing the butter to 0.75 cup (the original recipe asked for 1 cup).

Do you have a go-to cookie recipe?

2 comments:

  1. OMG these look positively delicious!!! I'll be definitely trying them, thought. I haven't had much luck with my cookie cooking skills... It's worth giving it a try, cookies are my favourite thing in this world!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you like them :) Cookie recipes can be finicky! I've had my share of flat cookies. Fortunately if I can make this recipe I think anyone can.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...